Shadow Night Survivalist Group
Welcome back soldier!
Welcome back soldier!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is the home of the Shadow Night a survivalist group based in South Australia.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.

Go down 
4 posters

Do you own or intend to own a surplus mask?
Yes
Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. I_vote_lcap43%Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
No
Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. I_vote_lcap14%Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Maybe
Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. I_vote_lcap14%Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Yes but going to use it
 14% [ 1 ]
Have multiple surplus masks
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Nathan Bickley

Nathan Bickley

Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. Empty
PostSubject: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 3:51 am

Hello there!

In this I'm just pointing out the pros and cons of buying the 'controversial' surplus gear for NBC situations.

The Pros: Readily available, cheap, can be easily replaced, could actually work

The Cons: May be broken, outdated, never was efficient in the field, fake, already toxic.

Always ask the seller for more info on the product your buying, ask for papers on the product and cross reference it, ask if the product your buying has been tested and worked and ask for proof. If they cant provide you with any or some of this buy at your discretion.

Masks you shouldnt buy:

M41 Aardvark
Origin: Russian
Manufactured in 1940-1950
The mask never actually worked and be careful as these masks look exactly like GP-5 (1950-1960) so dont buy either of them.

C3 and C4
Origin: Canadian
Manufactured in Unknown
The mask wouldve worked if they had used the right adhesive so the adhesive drys out to early and the mask fall apart.

M15
Origin: Israeli
Manufactured in Unknown
The masks work but only within there 20 year life span so be careful when buying one.

M9/M9A1
Origin: American
Manufactured in 1950's
The mask is very old and now only provides protection againt tear gas.

ANYTHING THAT USES 60MM THREADS FOR FILTERS. THE 60MM THREADS ARE OLD AND ONLY A FEW MASKS TODAY USE THEM. DONT BUY THESE AS YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY AN ADAPTER TO FIT THE NATO 40MM THREAD FILTERS ON DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!.

If there are any errors on this or you wan to ask a question do so.
Back to top Go down
Brock J
Admin
Brock J

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:31 am

Any ideas about gas masks that are suitable, and their price and availability etc.? Smile

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Nathan Bickley

Nathan Bickley

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:50 am

hmmmm well the two masks i have are surplus and 1 of them is slightly obsolete GP-5 ha! If you have $200 plus you could get an american one from securityprousa
although there selection is small they ship internationally unlike approvedgasmasks
there selection is huge but they ship locally but james knows an american who can ship it to us if we pay the postage for him shipping it to us. approved gas masks also sell a large selection of filters although there like $25-$80 there guaranteed to protect you. I would also go for one that can use a drinking system so you dont have to take the mask off. If you want the most recent military mask possible to buy it would be the M40 as the M50 isnt available as they are slowly assimilating into the US army, the M40 is $400 and the CBRN variant is over $500 and you have to buy extras such as the butyl skin for the mask as a design flaw means it only protected against riot control agents so the second skin is a must, if you want to go the extra mile though buy the quick doff butyl hood and the outsert/insert lens, although all of these can skyrocket the price to over $600-$700 depending on the mask variant. (the outsert/insert lenses are $98 on there own and the butyl second skin and hood $48 each)! But it would certainly be worth it. If any i would buy the PMK-1 which I have, its pretty good mine was $61 pretty well worth it.
i hope this helps
Back to top Go down
James 'DedMan' Manuel
Admin
James 'DedMan' Manuel

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Hey Nath, Is a Finnish M61 gas mask any good? and do they still use those type of filters?
Back to top Go down
https://shadownightsurvival.forumotion.com
Nathan Bickley

Nathan Bickley

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 7:40 am

Well the Finnish M61 was manufactured by Nokia between 1960-1980, it uses 60 millimeter threaded filters but if you want you want buy the 40mm adapter, they are supposedly quite common on the market and the first version is identical the american M9 except for the exhalation/outlet valve. I dont know if there any good but it might.
Back to top Go down
James 'DedMan' Manuel
Admin
James 'DedMan' Manuel

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks for the info Nathan Smile I will have to make my mind up
Back to top Go down
Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 3:13 am

i want one but it needs to be small and easy to hide... i want one thats compact
any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Nathan Bickley

Nathan Bickley

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:04 am

hmmmm. if your heads small then yeah but the only masks i can think of that you could attempt to hide would be ones that have a hood style, which means it doesnt use straps it uses well a hood, i would suggest a GP-5, GP-6, PBF or variants as these are generally latex and can be folded to a degree but these are surplus so I'd be careful. The GP-6 is only useful if you use a chemical or NBC suit as they have holes for ears which compromises the seal of the mask.
Thats all I can think of, the most compact thing I can think of though would be an escape hood though personally I think they would be useless uness you can run as fast as Usain.

Hope this helps if you find a compact one let me know cause id love to have one.
Back to top Go down
James 'DedMan' Manuel
Admin
James 'DedMan' Manuel

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am

I think that a PMK-1 is good which is the one that Nathan is wearing in his profile pic. Its not a hooded mask but it is better than the GP-5 and another one I would suggest is a Finnish M61 its another strap one but is a good mask. (from what I heard) Yet again all surplus so be careful.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Bickley

Nathan Bickley

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:39 am

the M61 would be ok except for the filter threads you would have to buy an adapter and the 60mm filters are more rare than 40mm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.   Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons. Empty

Back to top Go down

Surplus Gear: The Pros and Cons.
Page 1 of 1