Shadow Night Survivalist Group
Welcome back soldier!

This forum is the home of the Shadow Night a survivalist group based in South Australia.

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Rifle - Whats a good option?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
James 'DedMan' Manuel
Admin

PostSubject: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:45 pm

I was looking through my firearm catalogue and noticed a very nice rifle. Its the Howa 'Lightning Stainless' This is what was written next to the pic of it: For those who hunt in rugged terrain and need a rifle that can handle extreme weather conditions with the added durability of stainless steel. Featuring a stainless steel barrel and action with polymer stock, new three position safety and fully adjustable trigger. It is available in: .204 ruger, .223, 22-250, .243, 25-06, .270, .308, 30-06, 7MM, 300WM, .338WM, .300WSM, .270 WSM and 7MMWSM.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There's an idea for you in the future.
As always stay safe.

-James 'DedMan' Manuel
Back to top Go down
http://shadownightsurvival.forumotion.com
Brock J
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:26 am

Sounds decent but ill just say when hunting I don't wanna be the idiot who is seen by the animal at 400m+ because my rifle is shinier than the moon on a cloudless night! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
James 'DedMan' Manuel
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:24 am

Fair enough...but scrim should do the job Brock Razz
Back to top Go down
Brock J
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:46 am

Haha you're probably right James but I'd prefer a rifle like a Remington 700 Very Happy with a black synthetic/Kevlar stock with a black barrel Very Happy
Back to top Go down
James 'DedMan' Manuel
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:47 am

haha yeah me too......If I had that kind of cash Razz
Back to top Go down
Nathan Bickley

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:17 am

i know that this isnt a firearm but im thinking of a psitol crossbow. it would be small and lightweight and easy to cart around i found an american website where they sell 60 pound pistol crossbows is it worth getting to get some practice then go for the bigger toys.
Back to top Go down
Brock J
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:25 am

If I were you I wouldn't worry about a crossbow. I don't believe they are legal in Aus anymore (correct me if Im wrong) and they aren't particularly accurate. I would just go to getting a rifle, but that is a lot more work. You need to go for your Firearms License (minimum age 18yrs) and you need to become a member of the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (SSAA). Any rifles you buy need to be registered by SAPOL and I think there is a cost for this. You will also need a safe with room for ammunition. However while this is all lots of work, it is also very expensive. A good rifle can be and usually is, in excess of $500. They go all the way up to around 5 grand, and even more for custom target rifles. A scope (or some other kind of optic) is recommended and these are quite commonly up to and past $1000, depending on the type and power you need. Ammunition is also expensive, (depending on the type and calibre). Club memberships are quite expensive as well (depending on the type of membership and the club). A cleaning kit is also necessary to maintain your firearms.

However rifles are amazingly great fun (when looked after and handled correctly). They are great at the range or when hunting.

So it would appear that there are pro's and con's to firearms, but I promise you that it is well worth it Smile
Back to top Go down
Nathan Bickley

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:30 am

i was doing research for the crossbow laws in sa and it turns out there legal as long as you have a 'lawful reason' and knowing the cops shooting someone in self defence isnt a lawful reason. but because im 16 i cant get a gun sadly and i very much am interested in crossbows and i think they would be useful to a degree as they are partly silent and the ammo can be reused in some occations. unfortunately pistol crossbows are illegal but the bigger ones arent so i might save up $500 and get a crossbow, bolts and camo headnet. but i agree a rifle would be great fun to fire.
Back to top Go down
Brock J
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:33 am

Yeah if you can find a reason that the cops would accept then all the best cheers but I believe that rifles are more fun and versatile. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nathan Bickley

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:42 am

certainly but if i ever got a gun mum would shoot me with it! Very Happy haha
Back to top Go down
Brock J
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 am

I double checked the legality of crossbows in SA and it turns out that they are legal, however their manufacture, supply and use all have to be for legitimate and legal purposes. So it appears that you will need to own a license to purchase one, as well as provide a legitimate reason to use one. But double check for yourself, just so that these rules fit your intentions and ideas.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Nathan Bickley

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 am

thanks brock i just double checked and from what I see I think im good to go law side, as for money, well....... it should be interesting Smile
Back to top Go down
Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:49 am

a 22.250 would be good, small enough to carry for ages but you can blow a bastards head off easy, i'll just be using my dads Savage .17 hmr
Back to top Go down
Brock J
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:57 am

nah i wouldnt get 22-250, i use a .243 Winchester Weatherby Vanguard and thats good for everything up to deer, and accurate to about 400m Razz
Back to top Go down
Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:02 pm

true, true not exactly everyone can get a gun like that though... not to common from what i have seen
Back to top Go down
Brock J
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Yeah im unsure what gave you that impression Wink , the .243 is one of the most popular centrefire rifle cartridges on the market.

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:46 pm

i might be thinkin of the wrong one
Back to top Go down
DANGEROUS_BOOF

PostSubject: 2 Much hassle   Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:20 am

I may be the only one thinking this but i believe that getting a rifle/shotgun is WAY TOO expensive/complicated/unsafe. My personal preference for ranged weapon would be a Shiruken (ninja star), a throwing spear (1m long, quad-tipped spearhead) and A folding, steel framed wrist brace slingshot [some military grade ones have a range of 150m] (steel ball bearing ammo).

These are just my personal preferences as not everyone (me) can afford rifles and firearms.
P.S. Butch don't have a go at me for not mentioning firearms as the the topic is "firearms and OTHER weapons" king
Back to top Go down
Brock J
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:44 am

Well I can agree that firearms are expensive, but I must disagree about their safety. Shooting is one of the safest things that you can do (well, you know what I mean). There is usually no danger whatsoever in using a rifle, provided that you are properly trained in their use. Also I am not sure how legal those other objects that you described are....

PostSubject: Re: Rifle - Whats a good option?   

Back to top Go down

Rifle - Whats a good option?
Page 1 of 1